The Good Made Best


The First Day of School, 2012

Looking at the photo...you'd think I'd write about how the new school year is going. Well, it is going very well actually...but, this post is about IDOLS. See those three beautiful faces...one of my greatest struggles is making those three children my idols. I place them and their well-being in a position higher than God. My struggle (uh, ok...sin) of idolatry reached an crazy high a couple of weeks ago.

When Ella came down with a fever, cough, and congestion, we thought it was a little virus that would pass in a few days. After the 7th day of fever, we had her tested for "tropical diseases." Thankfully, she tested negative. (Then Noah came down with a fever, cough and congestion.) Ella ended up having a fever for about 12 days and missed 8 days of school. Being away from my "medical safety net" that I relied upon in the States, I struggled with fear and anxiety over my kids' health. Actually, I became obsessed with their health. Yes, a fever for 12 days is rather disconcerting...but still...God clearly showed me several times that my obsession with the health and well-being of my children was trumping God in my heart and thoughts.

Definitely convicting. Probably a common struggle for parents, especially mothers. However, it was and is important for me to remember that GOD LOVES MY KIDS more completely and deeply than I do. Sometimes, that is hard to fathom. The other point of conviction that was 'brought to my attention' was: that regardless of circumstance...God is NEVER-changing. He and His Love (and all that is included in His Love) remains the same. That is a good thing. A very good thing.

[By the way, we did speak with a doctor who works with one of the missions here...and we determined that Ella and Noah had the flu.]

Popular Posts