A 50 Cent Soda -- A Good Deal, A Bad Deal, or No Deal?

I (Jeff) used to think that I had a good handle on the doctrine of stewardship. In a few words, it sounded like this: Everything I have (skills, talents, time, energy, money...) is from God and is God’s. I am entrusted as a steward, a manager, of these gifts. They are to be used for his purposes, not mine. I thought my lifestyle reflected this (with the occasional shortcomings ☺) until we began the process of “raising support”...asking others to give their money to us...so that we can obey God by going to Nica.

Now that I am receiving other people’s money, I find myself wondering if I should spend 50 cents of someone else’s money on a soda? Wait, do you see where I still have it wrong? I still tend to think in terms of “my money” or “someone else’s money”. However, if I truly believed that it is all God’s money then I would not get hung up on whether or not I should spend 50 cents of someone else’s money on a soda....because, really it is ALL GOD’S MONEY!

What I should be focusing on or asking is: “God, do you want me to use your money in this way or not?” So whether it be a soda, an ipod, tithe, eating out, a car, a house – Am I willing to obey God when He says “I love you and the answer is no – I want you to use the money differently”? Again, Am I? Are you?

Perhaps the question is not so much “Am I being a GOOD steward?” but rather, Am I being an OBEDIENT steward?” So that, as a result of our obedience, we may be able to hear Him say: “Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together! ” Matt. 25:21 NLT

Popular Posts