Walls of Water

(Let's start by saying, this is Bethany writing...since Jeff surprised all of us by posting two times in a row!!) One of the questions we've been asked recently is: "what have you been learning throughout this journey?" Well...many things...but one of the recurring lessons for me has been about faith & obedience. I am currently re-reading one of my favorite books of the Bible, Exodus. I am particularly struck by the scene at the Red Sea. So there the Israelites are--standing on the banks of the sea. Here is where I think faith and obedience come in....or at least in retrospect. The Israelites haven't seen (or felt, or tasted, or enjoyed) the Promised Land that God has promised them, but God is leading them there through His servant, Moses. The mean ol' Egyptians are mad and coming to get the Israelites. There stand walls of water that God has made that create a pathway through which the Israelites must walk to get to the other side. Faith says that there is certain hope on the other side of the watery pathway. Obedience says "GO...walk across to the other side." In faith-filled obedience, the Israelites walk. Faith and obedience go hand in hand. I get that now more than before...that is one thing I've learned.

Popular Posts